These mini carrot cake bars are the most delicious dessert I made in a while- they are dense, easy to make and fill you up with all the goodness in them. Completely gluten-free, refined sugar-free and vegan.
I know that most of you are used to carrot cake being an actual cake, but come on- these little bars are so cute and a million times easier to make than a whole cake. They are more moist then a cake and in the same time a lot more fluffier than a raw bar.
I just love the taste of carrot cake and I try to develop different recipes from time to time including its main ingredients. Even a porridge.
For the base of the recipe I used coconut flour and to be honest, it is so difficult to use this flour because of its tendency to absorb liquid. It’s popular among those trying to cut carbs and minimise their gluten consumption. In addition to its very nutritious nature, it also has many health benefits:
- It is rich in fiber, middle-chain triglycerides (MCTs), iron
- keeps blood sugar levels stable
- aids digestion
- improves cardiovascular health
- may help with weight loss
The recipe is pretty simple and even people new to cooking can manage with making it. All you need is a blender and a desire to make something lovely for the family (or you can eat it all).
Tip: if you love dried fruit, you can soak some raisins (or something else depending on your preferences) in rum or water if you want to keep it alcohol free. Once soaked, add them in the base’s mixture before baking it. Thank me later!
Enough blabbing, here is the recipe:
> coconut flour
>salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla
>Banana whey protein
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 carrots finely shredded
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder/soda gluten free
- 1/3 cup date syrup if you don't have any, you can add honey or maple syrup
- 1 scoop banana whey protein you can skip this and add another egg instead
- 1/2 cup walnuts raw and chopped
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt цедено мляко
- 3-4 drops rum extract
- 3-4 drops stevia exctract or 2 tbsp honey/date syrup/maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 200C and line the desired pan with parchment paper.
- Blend the carrots and walnuts in a small blender until finely shredded.
- Then, starting by putting in the dry ingredients- coconut flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and whey powder. Mix.
- Add the sweetener, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Blend everything until you reach a smooth mixture.
- The mixture will thicken due to the liquid absorption by the coconut flour.
- Transfer the mixture in the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes until it gets a nice brown colour on top.
- Let it cool while you prepare the frosting.
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients for the frosting- greek yogurt, sweetener, rum extract.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Once the base has cooled down, cut it into 12 small pieces.
- Spread the frosting over the bars.
- Top with more chopped walnuts and if you want a drizzle of maple syrup.