HIGH PROTEIN | BALANCED MACRONUTRIENT CONTENT
This brownie tastes exactly like Ferrero Rocher! It’s made with a few ingredients and it is completely refined sugar free.
…alsoooo- it’s high in protein so it could be a nice post-workout snack (or just a snack whenever you feel like it).
To be entirely honest with you, I just wanted to make a healthier version of Ferrero Rocher sweets, but things went a bit sideways and I just added an egg and greek yogurt to bake the mixture. And that’s how I created one of my best brownie recipes!
Homemade Nutella? How?
Everyone’s definition of health is different. And that is normal. I believe that one should feel comfort in being in his own body and mind. One should enjoy being alive and should be energetic, growing and blooming. That is what health is for me. And sometimes healthy means eating a spoonful of store-bought Nutella. And that is OKAY.
However, if you feel like making your own- here is how you can do it:
- 1 cup hazelnut tahini
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey/date syrup/agave syrup/maple syrup
You just blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until you reach a nice, thick and smooth texture. Make sure you regularly scrap down the sides.
Let’s take a closer look into some of the ingredients of this Nutella:
Cocoa Powder: This is one of best sources of polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants linked to many health benefits. They can reduce inflammatory processes in the body, increase blood flow, lower blood pressure and maintain optimal blood sugar levels.
However, beware that during the heating and processing of the powder, some of its beneficial properties are lost.
Hazelnuts/Hazelnut tahini: These nuts are loaded with dietary fat, especially mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-6 and omega-9). They are also rich in vitamin B6, folate, phosphorus, potassium and zinc but the phytic acid in their content has been shown to impair the absorption of iron and zinc (from the nuts).
I used Theia’s Tahini because this is one of the best hazelnut tahinis I have tried, and I can guarantee that it is made entirely from hazelnuts (without any additional ingredients).
Honey: honey has many nutritional benefits and can heal almost everything. Most of the claims made are a pure nonsense. However, others are evidence-proved. From a historical point of view, honey has been used with medical purposes, because of its antimicrobial nature. Cultures all around the world have been praising its healing properties.
You can read more about Manuka honey in one of my blog posts:
How to make this Ferrero Rocher Brownie Recipe?
If you thought that making a brownie was complicated, don’t worry- it definitely is not! All that’s required is blending the ingredients and baking the mixture!
Full list of ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (128g) Nutella (homemade)
- 15g buckwheat flour
- 50g honey
- 45g chocolate protein powder
- 30g hazelnuts
- 1 egg
- 20g Greek yogurt
- Baking powder
- Toppings of choice
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a blender, add your Nutella, honey and hazelnuts.
- Blend until smooth. You may need to scratch from the sides, so you can mix evenly.
- If the mixture is too crumbly, you may need to add some liquid (milk or water) until smooth and thick texture is reached.
- In a small cup, put the Greek yogurt and baking powder to activate it.
- Then, put the blender knife off the blender, add the egg and continue mixing with a fork (I know it’s very hard, but you can do it!)
- When you have reached a smooth texture, add the Greek yogurt with baking soda in it. The mixing part will instantly become easier.
- Finally, pour the mix in the prepared baking tray and put some more hazelnuts (whole) inside.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes, but make sure to check it because it may burn on the top. Just be sure that it is thoroughly cooked before you take it out of the oven.
- Serve with some more tahini/honey on top and Greek yogurt. I put some strawberries as well but that is absolutely optional.